Opened 10 years ago

Closed 10 years ago

#77 closed enhancement (fixed)

Be more verbose in chicken-install when requiring a minimum version

Reported by: Christian Kellermann Owned by: felix winkelmann
Priority: minor Milestone:
Component: extensions Version: 4.2.x
Keywords: chicken-install version henrietta Cc:
Estimated difficulty:

Description

I wanted to install the lookup-table egg which requires check-errors
version >= 1.5.0. A chicken-install check-errors did just retrieve
version 1.0.0 (this is an open question I need to look at). What
stunned me for some minutes instead of investigating further was
chicken-install's advice without the version number.

I have attached a patch that prints out the extension:version syntax
with the minimum version needed for that extension so the user in the
future gets the right advice.

Attachments (1)

chicken-install.diff (1.1 KB) - added by Christian Kellermann 10 years ago.

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (6)

Changed 10 years ago by Christian Kellermann

Attachment: chicken-install.diff added

comment:1 Changed 10 years ago by felix winkelmann

Owner: set to felix winkelmann
Status: newassigned

Thanks, the patch will be added in the next release.

comment:2 Changed 10 years ago by Tony Sidaway

I haven't had time to investigate yet but I encountered a similar-sounding problem with installing srfi-29 using the stock chicken 4.1.0 version of chicken-install.

Two modules, locale and srfi-19, seemed to install with wrong version numbers so I had to workaround by going to subversion and tweak the version numbers in the setup files to get the srfi-29 install to work.

Time permitting I will try this again with a clean egg install using the patched version and see if the patch fixes the problem. Sorry I haven't done that yet. Thanks ckeen for the patch.

comment:3 Changed 10 years ago by Tony Sidaway

Correction: I was trying to install srfi-19 (Time Data Types and Procedures), not srfi-29, I got the names confused in my comment. The dependency problems involved the two eggs locale and srfi-29, on which the srfi-19 egg ultimately depends.

comment:4 Changed 10 years ago by felix winkelmann

I tried it myself, and everything is indeed quite a mess. I have changed the version strings and added a few tags in locale, srfi-29 and others. Perhaps it works better now.

comment:5 Changed 10 years ago by felix winkelmann

Resolution: fixed
Status: assignedclosed

Has been committed to the "master" branch.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.