CHICKEN is a compiler for the Scheme programming language.
CHICKEN produces portable, efficient C, supports almost all of the
Scheme language standard, and includes many enhancements and
extensions. CHICKEN runs on Linux, MacOS X, Windows, and many Unix flavours.
- Includes a full-featured interactive interpreter as well as an optimizing batch compiler
- Usable for interpreted scripts or compiled standalone executables with either dynamic or static linkage
- Full support for tail recursion, first-class continuations and hygienic macros
- Highly portable and known to run on many platforms, including x86,
x86-64, IA-64, PowerPC, SPARC and UltraSPARC, Alpha, MIPS, ARM and
- Distributed free for use and modification under the terms of the BSD License
- Transparent support for dynamically loadable compiled code and linkage to C
- An easy to use foreign function interface for accessing C and C++ libraries from Scheme code
- Lightweight user-level threads based on first-class continuations
- Provides high- and low-level hygienic macros, including syntax-rules
- Includes a powerful module system that integrates hygienic macros and separate compilation
- Execution profiling, debugging, backtrace and single-stepping support
- A POSIX interface that covers environment and filesystem access,
pipes, processes, signals, locks, sockets, and low-level and
- Perl compatible regular expressions, including support for SRE syntax (Structured Regular Expressions)
- Support for interpreted or compiled shell scripts under Unix and Windows
- Support for a large number of Scheme Requests For Implementation (SRFIs)
- Many libraries and extensions are available
at "Eggs Unlimited"
Get the tarball for the most recent release (4.1.0) here:
Browse the User's manual at the CHICKEN
The CHICKEN Users
mailing list is a medium-volume but fast-response list for discussing all
things related to CHICKEN. You can send a message to the list by addressing
it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in the development of CHICKEN,
check out CHICKEN Hackers
The current CHICKEN development version can be accessed through the
Subversion revision control system, like this:
$ svn co https://galinha.ucpel.tche.br/svn/chicken-eggs/chicken/trunk
, password: <none>)
The CHICKEN bug tracking system is located here.
If you have any questions, suggestions or insults regarding CHICKEN,
don't hesitate to join the chicken-users mailing list. Bug reports
should be directed to email@example.com,
preferrably using the chicken-bug(1) tool.